Tuesday, June 15, 2010

From One Legend to Another

http://z.about.com/d/raleighdurham/1/0/p/H/-/-/Head-coach-Tom-Izzo-of-the-Michigan-State-Spartans-looks-on.jpg http://www4.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Cleveland+Cavaliers+v+Los+Angeles+Lakers+5hrGzG59KPhl.jpg

Tom Izzo has always been known as one of the greatest coaches in college basketball. He is the only coach who has been to six Final Fours in the last 15 years, including this past season where his 5th-seeded Michigan State Spartans were just two points away from reaching their second consecutive championship game. However, he only has one national championship. That's why it seemed plausible that when the Cleveland Cavaliers offered Izzo a contract, he might take it with the thought that he could be the next coach for LeBron James. But as Dick Vitale said (and Izzo later said), the 1998 NCAA Coach of the Year is a Spartan for life: earlier this evening, he decided to stay at MSU by turning down the Cavs' offer that could have been up to $6 million.

This isn't a big shock to me personally. I know that there were reports saying he was leaning towards taking the job, but it seemed unlikely he would leave unless he knew LeBron James would be returning to Cleveland. If he wanted to take the deal, he most likely would have accepted right away. But LeBron was one of the main factors in his decision, and the King's uncertainty led to Izzo's rejection. It wouldn't have made sense for him either because of how great of a situation he has at MSU. With six Final Fours and a National Championship under his belt in East Lansing at the age of 55, Izzo is in position to continue to strive in college basketball.

This has not changed my opinion of him as a great and loyal college basketball coach, but it has contributed to changing my mind about LeBron and free agency. I had originally thought that the two likely landing spots were Chicago and the Clippers, but now I'm really not sure. If he was in Chicago, he would be in the shadow of Michael Jordan. I think he would want to make a name for himself somewhere else. While I thought LA seemed like a good fit for him, I don't think he would want to be in the same town as Kobe Bryant either. As of today, I wouldn't be surprised to see him in Cleveland. I can't be sure of anything with his future anymore, but I am almost certain that he will stay in the Eastern Conference. I know that his dream is to beat Kobe Bryant in the NBA Finals, and right now Kobe is playing in the West. This contract offer by the Cavs was just a small chapter in LeBron's 2010 summer.

No comments: