Thursday, June 10, 2010

Let The Games Begin!

http://blogs.timeslive.co.za/soccer/files/2010/03/lionel-messi-bacelona-1-zaragoza-0-10861.jpg http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/upload/news/080122_p20_spn2.jpg http://footballcommentblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/england-kits-wayne-rooney-001.jpg

The moment we've all been waiting for is tomorrow morning at 10:00 Eastern time on June 11, 2010: the highly-anticipated 2010 FIFA World Cup begins then with South Africa, the host, squaring off against Mexico. The Cup lasts one month and on July 11th, a winner will be crowned. The World Cup has gotten not just soccer fans but all sports fans excited for months now, and the time for people to sit back and watch is less than 13 hours away. Now that it's summer for a large majority of the high school and college students out there, everyone will be glued to the TV for a the next 1/12 of a year.

Now I would try to make a prediction on who I think is going to win, but I don't think I know enough about soccer to really make an educated guess. Spain and Brazil seem to be the most popular picks, but I've heard others such as England and Argentina. I know there are millions of people out there who are in the same situation I am in, but that's what makes the World Cup so special. I love watching soccer, but I don't follow it that much. However, when the World Cup comes around, I'm following it like I follow College Football bowl games. In my mind, along with the NCAA Basketball Tournament, the World Cup is the most exciting sporting event in the world, especially because it only happens once every four years. I know I'll be attending World Cup parties, and I know there will be others there who don't have a ton of soccer knowledge, like me. Let the games begin!

No comments: